Training your dog can sometimes seem like a daunting task. You wonder what method is going to work the best. You are often left asking yourself:
“Do I use treats to encourage behavior” ?
“Should I hire a professional trainer to improve my dog’s behavior” ?
“How about training my dog using an electric training collar” ?
No one answer is correct, and each method has it’s own benefits. Chances are, you’ve tried using treats and positive based methods, but you aren’t getting anywhere. Hiring a professional trainer can be quite costly and you wonder if it really will work. After all, you have the most stubborn dog on the street. Right?
Using an Remote Training Collar (aka: e-collar, zap collar, shock collar, electric collar) can certainly provide cost-effective benefits and they usually work quite quickly – sometimes within the matter of days. It is important to know HOW to use these collars to ensure that no stress is caused to your dog, and to ensure they fully understand HOW to respond when the Remote Training Collar is used.
So what behaviors can a Remote Training Collar be used for, you ask?
- Digging holes in the yard
- Jumping (on people, furniture, fences, you name it)
- Biting, nipping and aggression
- Pulling on the lead when walking
That’s just to name a few. When used correctly, a Remote Training Collar really can fix just about any behavior.
Below are a few recommendations we have based on feedback from hundreds of customers.
- Naturally, dogs are cautious when it comes to change. Putting any kind of e-collar on your dog and using it should only be done once you are comfortable knowing how the device works and functions. We have many customers who will first test the device on themselves before using it on their dog. We too have done exactly this. Although this is not a requirement to using a device, it is important to know exactly what your dog is going to feel.
- We first recommend using the vibration mode on your Remote Training Collar. Many of our customers say that they have effectively trained their dog and have not once needed to use the static shock mode. The vibration itself can be bothersome enough to your dog. Start by placing the collar on a table or flat surface. Change the intensity (1-100) and get an understanding at how much the collar is going to vibrate once it is on your dog.
- Always use your Remote Training Collar in conjunction with reward based training. Once your dog shows an unwanted behavior, use the collar to emit a vibration for 2-3 seconds. Once the dog has stopped the behavior, give them a pat and show them that you are pleased they have stopped. If you are expecting the Remote Training Collar to be a magic device that you can sit inside on your couch and press a button each time your dog barks, you are wrong. Like with any training, your dog needs to understand what the correct behavior is.
- NEVER – and this is a point that cannot be stressed enough – never use the device in order to punish your dog. If you do so, forget about buying one of these devices, and consider finding your dog a new home. A Remote Training Collar is designed to help you teach your dog. Without following the points we have outlined so far, your dog is unlikely to make any changes and you are probably going to make your dog dislike you.
- Do not use the collar EVERY time a negative behavior occurs. We suggest choosing a time of day when your dog is more likely to offend. Choose 6-12 hours each day where the dog will wear the collar. During this time, use the Remote Training Collar each time a behavior occurs, along with a positive reward when the behavior ends. During times when the collar is not worn, ensure you continue to use a positive reward (pat, treat, etc) when the behavior stops. The device is not made to be an instant fix, but is designed to assist you in gradually training your dog. Your dog will also begin to understand that when the collar is on, they need to behave. We find by doing this, your dog associates not just the vibration (or static shock) but the actual wearing of the collar as a deterrent.
Follow these simple recommendations and you have the highest chance of training your dog, in the quickest amount of time.
Questions? Simply email us at email@example.com